Powder coatings are at a tipping point that will dramatically increase their use as both a supplement or and a replacement for liquid coatings in manufactured wood products. In recognition of this growing trend, IWF has teamed with the Powder Coating Institute to present Powder Coating Wood Substrates: A Proven, Sustainable Solution.
Renowned for their toughness and durability when used over metal – notably automobile wheels – application on engineered panel and solid wood was hampered due to requirements for high heat levels in the curing ovens.
Powder coating materials and curing systems manufacturers have been developing formulations and equipment to get the coating to fuse with less heat. PPG (IWF Booth BC912) Envirocron HeatSense powder coating is a recent addition to powder coatings available, and IWF exhibitors in the category will include Alcea S.p.A, Gema USA, IFS Coatings supply materials and a half-dozen other powder coating application and curing systems firms. The full-day symposium runs August 22, the day prior to the IWF show floor opening, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Learn more and register for Powder Coating Wood Substrates: A Proven, Sustainable Solution.
Welcome & Introduction
• Introduction of Processes for Wood Based Substrates (WBS)
• How the process for powder coats Wood Based Substrate differs from liquid coats
• Show how it is different, yet similar to powder coating metal
• Provide brief overview of a system
• Powder Coating Technologies for Wood Based Substrate
• How powder coatings are manufactured and what they are produced from
• Choosing the correct Wood Based Substrate
• Different types of MDF, HDF, engineered wood, and natural wood
• Types of powder coatings,how they differ, how to calculate usage, and testing coatings
• Powder Application Methods & Booths for Wood Based Substrate
• Detail types of powder delivery and application equipment used
• Show the various types of powder booth designs and explain the difference between each
• Preheat & Curing of Wood Based Substrate
• Importance of heat control during preheat & curing
• Methods of curing
• Why switch from liquid to powder on Wood Based Substrate
• Customer success stories
• Emerging technologies
• Example of cost savings
• Panel Discussion Questions & Answers
Grow your business at the premier global woodworking trade show.
International Woodworking Fair
August 6–9, 2024
8:30 AM–5:00 PM
8:30 AM–2:00 PM
Georgia World Congress Center
285 Andrew Young International Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30313